GOCUPI Large Canvas and Paint Gondola

On February 10, 2015 by jw

I’ve been experimenting with the GOCUPI drawbot beta board. I’m trying to create large designs on canvas with paint. I had to design and 3D print new motor mounts for canvas corners. I tried paint markers at first, but they’re expensive and unstable so I’ve been printing my own gondola paint pods.

You can download the canvas mount on thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:685404

You can download the paint gondola on thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:685434

IMG_0154

paint_pod

Here are the 3D printed canvas mounts with c-clamps. I later added idler posts.

 

IMG_5846

 

IMG_5854

These mounts were too short to allow for full canvas coverage. So I made some extensions:

IMG_6054

 

IMG_6066

Of course it wouldn’t be complete with out a 3D printed case for the Raspberry Pi and the GOCUPI Beta board hat.

IMG_5833 IMG_5834

This is the first painting on canvas I did with GOCUPI:

IMG_0243

(it was still drying in this photo ^ light is coming in from the back showing the canvas frame)

IMG_0268 IMG_0264

Before I started with the canvas, I ran a test print on paper.

IMG_0212

I transferred my starting point from the paper to the canvas by poking a hole through the paper with a pen. This is where the gondola needed to start to make an exact copy of my test print.

IMG_0213 IMG_0214

Now I prepped the canvas with primer and edging effects.

IMG_0228

This was done simply with a piece of cardboardIMG_0227

 

And we’re off!

IMG_0229

Everything is going good…

IMG_0230

Not bad…

IMG_0233

Then the Raspberry Pi crashes (I think it over heated maybe?). GOCUPI stopped and I have an unfinished painting. I decided to try and restart the machine, but only draw the unfinished lines. I took a photo of where it left off, brought it into Photoshop, made a mask to only show the unfinished lines, then ran the result though the TSP generator. I did it this way so I could know exactly how the remaining lines would connect. Since I’m not using the pen up servo, I wasn’t sure how the lines would connect if I just started deleting things in Inkscape.

IMG_0234

 

2015-02-21_17-09-31

Finally I sprayed on some oil based stain

IMG_0238

Let dry and hang

IMG_0268

Before I started this painting I ran a bunch of tests on paper:

IMG_5860 IMG_5858 IMG_5859 IMG_6036 IMG_6037 IMG_6039 IMG_6049 IMG_6050 IMG_6051 IMG_6053 IMG_6055 IMG_6056 IMG_6057

 

IMG_6059

I had some warping issues here, I’m pretty sure it was my poor measuring. I started using a laser measure and it helps a lot.

IMG_6072 IMG_6077 IMG_6079 IMG_6080 IMG_6088 IMG_6098

 

Here are some videos of it in action:



 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *